50 Year Club
Welcome back to all graduates of 50 years or more.
What is the 50 Year Club?
Started in 1934, the 50 Year Club is celebrating its 82nd anniversary and is for anyone who graduated 50 or more years ago. We will induct the class of 1967 into the 50 Year Club during the luncheon and recognize this year's 50 Year Club Award recipients. All graduates from 1967 and their guests are invited to attend this special event.
Outstanding Recognition Awards
The 50 Year Club honors two individuals at their annual luncheon with these outstanding recognition awards:
- The Career Achievement Award identifies and recognizes an alumnus/a who is recognized as outstanding in his or her occupation, field, or profession by peers in that industry, who has brought honor to Colorado State University and to him or herself.
- The Public Service Award identifies and recognizes an outstanding alumnus/a who is recognized by the University community and also by the alumnus’s community as someone who has contributed works of public service (e.g., government, clubs, charities, or organizations that are not industry or profession oriented).
When is the 50 Year Club Luncheon?
Award recipients will be honored at the annual 50 Year Club Luncheon during Homecoming & Family Weekend 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Oct. 13 at the Hilton Fort Collins.
Nominations Have Closed
50 Year Club award nominations were due Friday, June 30.
Criteria for the Career Achievement and Public Service Recognition awards are similar. Please review the criteria carefully to determine which award would most appropriately express your nominee's achievements.
We will recognize two alumni who are graduates of 50 or more years.
The CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD identifies and recognizes an alumnus/a who is recognized as outstanding in his or her occupation, field, or profession by peers in that industry, who has brought honor to Colorado State University and to him or herself.
The PUBLIC SERVICE AWARD identifies and recognizes an outstanding alumnus/a who is recognized by the University community and also by the alumnus’s community as someone who has contributed works of public service (e.g., government, clubs, charities, or organizations that are not industry or profession oriented).
All nominees must have graduated from CSU, Colorado A&M, CAC, or SAC at least 50 years ago.
The CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD candidate must also have:
- A demonstrated record of distinction in his or her field.
- Received recognition in his or her career through awards or honors locally, nationally, or internationally.
- Demonstrated a lifelong history of accomplishments and activities in his or her field.
- Demonstrated leadership in professional organizations.
The PUBLIC SERVICE AWARD candidate must also have:
- Provided outstanding public service to his or her community.
- Provided service to his or her charitable or religious organization.
- Provided service to local, state, or national government.
- Provided service to medical or environmental well-being of humankind.
- Provided service to Colorado State University.
1. Download nomination forms or submit an online nomination (see below). The nomination form must be completely filled out for full consideration. Please do not assume the 50 Year Club Board knows the individual that you are nominating.
2. If you would like to update or add to your previously submitted nomination, it must be resubmitted by the deadline.
3. Nominations are automatically rolled over an additional two years past the initial submission.
4. Be as specific as possible, and attach additional sheets as needed. Please type if possible.
5. Please attach up to five letters of recommendation from those who are familiar with the nominee’s accomplishments and service if available.
6. Please attach copies of up to three articles, photographs, or other supporting information.
7. Before you nominate someone, please be sure you are addressing criteria in the category for which you are nominating them. Each candidate may only be nominated for ONE award: either the Career Achievement Award OR the Public Service Award.
Select one of the following options to submit a nomination. Please be sure you read and understand the nomination information.
1. Nominate online. Use the online form to submit a nomination. We highly recommend using Microsoft Word (or similar program) to type your answers, then copy and paste them into the form.
2. Download and print a nomination form. You may fill in the form online and then print it; or save the file and e-mail it; or print the form and complete it by hand (please print clearly).
Return completed nomination via mail, e-mail, or fax by Friday, June 30, 2017 to:
Colorado State University Alumni Association
7114 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-7114
fax: (970) 491-0798
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If e-mailing, please be sure to include the appropriate attachments.
3. Request a nomination packet by calling (800) 286-2586.
1987: Raymond Kissock ('14)
1988: Bruce Thornton ('18, 27)
1989: Jasper French ('39)
1990: Stew Case ('41)
1991: Jim ('40) and Nadine ('41) Henry
1992: Larry LaSasso ('34)
1993: Lois Smith ('40) and Lola Case ('40)
1994: Cecil Hellbusch ('30)
1995: Cecil Staver ('30, '53)
1996: Charles Dale Rea ('36)
1997: John Toliver ('34)
1998: Wendell King ('30)
1999: Norm Cable ('38)
2000: Elizabeth Case ('42)
2001: G. Owen Smith ('47, '50)
2002: John Matsushima ('43, '45)
2003: Leona M. Heilman ('51)
2004: Robert Shideler ('48)
2005: Nicholas H. Booth, D.V.M. ('51)
2006: Dr. M. Joan (Ouderkirk) Cromer ('53)
2007: Cleon Kimberling, D.V.M. ('51, '59)
2008: Everett Richardson, Ph.D. ('49, '60, '65)
2009: Eugene “Gene” Markley ('47)
2010: Robert Phillips, D.V.M. ('59, ’61) Career Achievement Award
2010: Alvie Rothe ('57, '61) Public Service Award
2011: Anthony Sroka, Ph.D. ('51) Career Achievement Award
2011: Robert Briggs, Jr. ('59, '61) Public Service Award
2012: Dr. Carl Burtis, Jr. ('59) Career Achievement Award
2012: Robert Sweeney ('59) Public Service Award
2013: Jim Coleman ('56) Career Achievement Award
2013: Bill Erickson ('51) Public Service Award
2014: Karen Ostermiller ('59) Career Achievement Award
2014: Tom Nix ('50) Public Service Award
2015: Mike Rosser ('64) Career Achievement Award
2015: Dale Yonker ('63) Public Services Award
President: Carol (Michie) Alford'61
Vice President: Tom Skillman '57
Judy (Sherwin) Andersen '59
Colleen Blach Bates '60
Barbara Reid Erickson '62
Al Hornung '61
Fred Kerst '63
Jim Linden '64
Mary Ann (Salzman) Miller '60
Jo (Hamil) Ostwald '58
Mike Rosser '64
Bill Woods '58
2017 Award Recipients
Career Service Award: Delbert “Kent” Nelson, ’61
Public Service Award: Franklin Anderson, ’56
Distinguished Achievement Award: Robert Miller, D.V.M., ’56